Sunday, July 26, 2026

K-Drama for Every Season

I'll be honest with you. I'm Korean American, and I wasn't really into K-dramas. I know that sounds almost criminal to admit. There's this assumption that every Korean has seen every major show and can quote it by heart, but that's never been me. That started to change when Kingdom on Netflix surprised me, and then Squid Game changed my mind completely. Now watching K-Pop: Demon Hunters blow up globally, I feel excited about where Korean entertainment is headed. So here are a few K-dramas I think pair perfectly with each season.

Spring belongs to When Life Gives You Tangerines, a show about a woman from postwar Jeju who dreams of becoming a poet and the man who has loved her for years without saying it. The soft colors and blooming tangerine trees make it impossible to watch during any other season. It's the perfect show to put on when the weather finally starts to turn.

For summer I couldn't pick just one, so I'm giving you two. Our Beloved Summer is about two ex-lovers pulled back together when a documentary they filmed in high school suddenly goes viral. It's bright and a little messy, which is exactly what summer feels like. Summer Strike is about a woman who quits her job, leaves the city, and moves to a small coastal town with no real plan. It slows everything down in the best way, and it's the show you want on when the heat makes you too tired to do anything else.

Fall goes to Something in the Rain, about two people who probably shouldn't fall for each other but do anyway. The tone is mellow and the whole thing is a bit heavy, matching the season perfectly. Watching it feels like sitting by a window while the leaves come down outside.

Winter is made for I'll Visit You When the Weather Is Nice, about a woman who leaves Seoul for a snowy small town and reconnects with an old friend who runs a bookstore. It moves slowly and deliberately, and that's entirely the point. Go make yourself a cup of cocoa before you press play because this one makes you want to stay inside and stop being so hard on yourself for a while.

What I keep taking away from all of these shows is something deceptively simple: they make ordinary life feel worth paying attention to. None of these plots are outlandish. People fall in love, drift apart, miss chances, try again. But the writing never lets those moments feel small or forgettable. There's always something that stops you mid-scene, a look between characters that says more than the dialogue ever could, a throwaway moment that somehow becomes the one you think about later. A story doesn't need a grand premise to hold someone's attention. It just needs to make people feel like their own life is worth watching too.

No comments:

Post a Comment